Outdoor Services Crew

Monday, March 30, 2015

Newbie Blogger


I recently joined the Outdoor Services team.  In my previous career I sat in an office for hours, preparing reports, attending meetings and working on project deadlines.  Stepping outside meant a walk from the building to my car.
Since joining the grounds team at CU I have had a chance to raise my head up and look around.  What I see is the breathtaking campus I graduated from.  It was always a great place to bring family and friends.  Sadly, I never asked “how” or “who” kept it beautiful.  Well, now I am asking.  And with this blog will continue to share the answers.

The grounds team has entrusted me to blog and when I say entrusted, I mean they have taken a leap of faith with someone who has no experience working in a grounds department to explain what they do.  I have a lot of questions.  For instance, how does a place designed for 3,000 people in the 1800s now take care of close to 30,000 people and still stay safe, inviting and beautiful?
In the short time I have been here, I already have the answer to “who.”  It’s a team of professionals, many with college degrees, who have chosen to work on landscaping, irrigation, trees and grounds care.  I even have the answer to “why.”  It’s simple, they love being outside.  They weren’t meant to sit behind a desk all day.  I get that! 

Everything they do is new to me.  As the teams shift from winter tasks into new spring activities I’ve already begun asking “what” and “how”.  Stay tuned, answers are on the way.  
Marsha